Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

snack stick casing size? (Read 559 times)
Jan 27th, 2017 at 4:00am

newbie001   Offline
Chiang Mai Thailand

I found a distributor for collagen casings locally.  I wanted to make some smoked snack sticks but not sure what size I should go for.  They have 17mm and 19mm.   I prefer thin sized for eating but not sure if 17mm would be too difficult to stuff.  I have to buy 1k meters so I really don't want to buy something I don't like. 

Any suggestions?

Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 7:16pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

newbie, see the pics in my thread a couple subjects down.
I used 19mm. They came out about the size of a fat pencil. I do remember that even the 19mm casings were a pain to load onto the smallest nozzle I had, which I think was 1/4".

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 1:52am

newbie001   Offline
Chiang Mai Thailand

Ok, thanks Ill do the 19mm then.  They are slightly cheaper anyway as I only have to buy 950meters. LOL.  I hate not having retail choices like you do in the US.  I can only find corporate wholesalers.  But for 120 dollars I will have enough casings for 1000 kilos of sausage. Or I can repackage them to smaller batches and sell some sausage making kits.  But most likely will just give a lot away to friends.

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 8:08pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I really hate stuffing tiny sausages - such a pain and it takes forever. Last time I make them was a Christmas present for my BIL and he gave most of them away to the guys at work thinking I could just make more - Not happening! I just make them in standard size casings and slice or just enjoy biting of big chunks.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.