Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Smoke Roasted Duck (Read 205 times)
Nov 13th, 2016 at 10:24pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

At the request of a facebook group member I am posting how I do a duck on the smoker. ABout 3 to 4 hours.

Approximate Spices I like to use: (I don't measure I sprinkle)

1 tablespoon each
Sea or Kosher Salt
Course Ground Black Pepper
Roasted onion Powder
Roasted Garlic Powder

1/2 teaspoon
Ground Rosemary
Ground Thyme
Rubbed Basil

Okay let's keep this simple because it is.

Night before
1) Rinse your duck and remove the neck and gizzards.
2) Take a razor blade and slash the skin through the fatty tissues. Especially the breast and thigh regions. this help the fat render away.
3) Poke around under the skin on the breast to release it from the meat. You may want to use a wooden spoon handle to get started
4) sprinkle seasonings over all exposed parts of the duck and rub some under the skin.
5) Truss up the wings and legs
6) Wrap it tight in plastic wrap

Next day
1) stuff the cavity with  quartered onions, maybe orange wedges and celery. At the very least onions!
2) get you smoker going about 300F degrees
3) Put the duck on a rack and into a foil pan and add about a cup of water. You will want to save the fat and pour it off saving the thicker drippings for gravy.
3) smoke for about 30 minutes to dry the bird then add the wood of your choice - Apple or mulberry is my favorite for duck
4) when the temperature get up to about 155 or 160 add glaze if you are using one. Any fruit jam or jelly mixed with apple juice will work. I prefer Apricot or Orange marmalade about 1/2 cup of jam to just enough juice to be able to easily paint the bird. Depend on the jam could be anywhere from a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup. If it has chunky fruit use a stick blender to smooth it out.You want to liquid but not too runny. It's easier to work with if you heat it for about 1 minute in the microwave.
5) crank up the heat to about 350 to 400 degrees to crisp the skin. The glaze will make it slightly soggy.
6) Once crisp again pull it and let it rest for about 10 minyutes before slicing.
7) while it rests pour the fat slowly into a cup but save the pan drippings and make a nice gravy with it.

Duck_001.JPG (194 KB | 5 )
Duck_001.JPG

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.