Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Deejay's Italian Style Oven Roasted Plum Tomatoes (Read 353 times)
Sep 2nd, 2016 at 10:55pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Deejay's Italian Style Oven Roasted Plum Tomatoes

Ingredients
fresh cherry or plum tomatoes
kosher salt
Dried rubbed basil
Fresh basil (optional)
minced roasted garlic (or fresh)
ground rosemary
lemon pepper
course black pepper
good quality extra virgin olive oil
Ground thyme (optional)

You can actually use just about any good tomato but I prefer plums or cherries because they can be sliced in half and hold their shape better. Any small tomato will work.

Process
Slice tomato in half. I go stem to stern with plums and cherries but cut through the middle with better boys smallish round tomatoes.

Cut a little v into the stem area and remove the stem core.

Scoup out the seeds, pulp and juice into a cup or bowl. I just use a finger. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Lay tomatoes skin down on the parchment paper.

Sprinkle lightly with light pinches of your favorite tomato herbs. I start with kosher salt, basil, minced roasted garlic, rosemary, lemon pepper and course black pepper - in that order. Salt always first it help draw out the juices.

Drizzle with a good quality extra virgin olive oil and roast in a 200 to 20 degree over for 4 to 5 hours.

You want them to shriveled and dry but not rubbery or leathery. I like them to have a slight char but not much but you will decide what you like best.

Add 1 tablespoon of REAL LEMON juice in a bottle, to an 8 oz canning jar. REA LEMON will last longer than a fresh squeezed lemon. Drop in tomatoes and pack with a spoon. I like to add one fresh basil leaf to the jar. Leave about 1/2 inch of head space and top with another tablespoon of REAL LEMON juice.

Wipe jar top clean, make sure there is NO OIL on the cap or jar top or it will not seal. Add lid and screw on rings finger tight.

If processing in a water bath 85 minutes for pints and half pints at sea level or in a pressure canner 35 minutes at 10 pounds pressure at sea level.

These will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks if not processed or can be frozen squeeze out all of the air or vacuum seal if freezing.

PrepRomas.JPG (173 KB | 5 )
PrepRomas.JPG
RoastedRomas.JPG (175 KB | 8 )
RoastedRomas.JPG
26OvenRoasted.JPG (83 KB | 8 )
26OvenRoasted.JPG

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.