Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Prosciutto? (Read 402 times)
Sep 1st, 2016 at 7:09pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Debi,
I was looking over your tutorial, and got to wondering. Is this something that you would consider adding some cure #2 to?
I think I may be starting one or two of them sometime soon, and I'm trying to give myself as a good a start as I can.

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 9:38pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Prosciutto is made from a whole muscle and whole muscles do not use cure #2 because the inner meat is not exposed. Ground meat does because of all the exposure to open air/germs etc. The heavy salting the outside exposed meat on a leg and the rubbing in should kill anything. Do be sure to pack every crack, slice and exposed bit of meat when doing this.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:53am

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Ok, thanks!

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 2:21am

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Would this work with a smaller cut, like a pork picnic instead of a hind leg?

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 10:29pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

You could. I never make a whole leg. Just once and it was way to big to handle and took my whole fridge! Dang thing was almost 1/3 my body weight! Totally a winter project that size.

I have done it using the coppa muscle and I think it is just as good and a size you will be able to store easily.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 9:00pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

So I went into my local business Costco today to check their prices on corned beef, and look what I found. $1.09 lb. for a whole pork leg! This one is about 22.5 lbs.

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 12:19am

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Trimmed, this came to about 19.5 lbs.
Last pic is it packed in salt to start the cure. Glad I now have a spare fridge in the garage.

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 2:26am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

That a BiG piece of meat! good luck. I can not at thi point give up that much space for such a long time but hen I get the new house i plan to build something of a walk-in style chiller. Maybe next year!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 9:51am

TN_Q   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Shelbyville, TN

nice big ham. fortunately there is a local hammery making prosciutto style ham called Tennshooto which is very good, tho' a bit pricey.

Here's a good site dedicated to cured meats and has lots of good info on process, cures and equipment:
http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/search?q=prosciutto

CS Amerique
Weber

[img]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather02/language/english/US/TN/Shelbyville.gif[img]
Reply #9 - Today at 2:24pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

At week 1, there wasn't a whole lot of change, other than the salt on top had completely disappeared. I don't know if it dissolved into the meat or what. So the leg was repacked and put back into the fridge.

Week 2, I siphoned off about 2 cups of liquid, checked for off-odors, and flipped it.

prosciutto.jpg (21 KB | 0 )
prosciutto.jpg