Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Prosciutto? (Read 496 times)
Sep 1st, 2016 at 7:09pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Debi,
I was looking over your tutorial, and got to wondering. Is this something that you would consider adding some cure #2 to?
I think I may be starting one or two of them sometime soon, and I'm trying to give myself as a good a start as I can.

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 9:38pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Prosciutto is made from a whole muscle and whole muscles do not use cure #2 because the inner meat is not exposed. Ground meat does because of all the exposure to open air/germs etc. The heavy salting the outside exposed meat on a leg and the rubbing in should kill anything. Do be sure to pack every crack, slice and exposed bit of meat when doing this.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:53am

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Ok, thanks!

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 2:21am

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Would this work with a smaller cut, like a pork picnic instead of a hind leg?

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 10:29pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

You could. I never make a whole leg. Just once and it was way to big to handle and took my whole fridge! Dang thing was almost 1/3 my body weight! Totally a winter project that size.

I have done it using the coppa muscle and I think it is just as good and a size you will be able to store easily.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 9:00pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

So I went into my local business Costco today to check their prices on corned beef, and look what I found. $1.09 lb. for a whole pork leg! This one is about 22.5 lbs.

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 12:19am

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Trimmed, this came to about 19.5 lbs.
Last pic is it packed in salt to start the cure. Glad I now have a spare fridge in the garage.

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 2:26am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

That a BiG piece of meat! good luck. I can not at thi point give up that much space for such a long time but hen I get the new house i plan to build something of a walk-in style chiller. Maybe next year!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 9:51am

TN_Q   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Shelbyville, TN

nice big ham. fortunately there is a local hammery making prosciutto style ham called Tennshooto which is very good, tho' a bit pricey.

Here's a good site dedicated to cured meats and has lots of good info on process, cures and equipment:
http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/search?q=prosciutto

CS Amerique
Weber

[img]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather02/language/english/US/TN/Shelbyville.gif[img]
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 2:24pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

At week 1, there wasn't a whole lot of change, other than the salt on top had completely disappeared. I don't know if it dissolved into the meat or what. So the leg was repacked and put back into the fridge.

Week 2, I siphoned off about 2 cups of liquid, checked for off-odors, and flipped it.

prosciutto.jpg (21 KB | 2 )
prosciutto.jpg

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 8:59pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

make sure it stay well coated

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 2:17pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Ok, the leg came out of the salt after 30 days. I periodically removed the liquid from the pan, probably got about 3 or 4 cups total. So here it is rinsed, then rinsed again with red wine, and then the exposed sides were covered with lard, black pepper, and garlic powder. It is now hanging in my curing chamber at 55° and around 70-75% humidity. I have a dish below it filled with super-saturated salt water, and a low-volume fan to the right of it. The fan is set on a timer to let it run 5 minutes every hour. This way, there will be air movement, but my fan motor won't be running continuously for a year or more.