Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

My Hydroponic Growing System (Read 1914 times)
Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:09am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

For my sweet Lisa :

My hydroponic garden is a combination of a bubble bucket and an ebb and flow system. I used several recycled 5 gallon buckets from previous projects (bacon, hams and beer) and a few sets of Root Spa 5 Gallon  Bucket System.  The Root spa setup had some of the parts I needed, I just had to add to it. More on that later…

Bubble buckets are simply 5 gallon buckets filled with liquid nutrients and with an air hose that uses a fish tank air pump and air stone to make bubbles. The buckets normally would have to be emptied and refilled ever two weeks.

An ebb and flow systems is a long series of beds you dump nutrients in and it drains back into a tank through a common tube and is constantly recycled using a water pump. Only the reservoir needs to be refilled every two weeks making it much simpler to use.

There are kits available at online at Home Depot or Amazon for basic bubble bucket systems. They are kind of pricey but when you add up all the parts it can be cheaper in the long run to buy the kit. Here is an example but there are many types available.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_2972638011?ie=UTF8&node=2972638011&field...

the root spa also has the air pump and air hoses so that can save a lot of aggravation . I chose to run my air hoses in a daisy chain rather than have the ump in the middle of the floor so I bought more hose and barbed fittings. If you have room the root spa could be moved into the house come winter by adding lights.

I recommend WHITE buckets for outdoors. Everyone says black - but outside they heat up to much so and can boil the nutrients, the white reflects light and heat better. If you buy a kit they will be black or maybe blue - paint the outside white for outdoor gardening. Trust me on this!

Connecting the Buckets
So let’s assume you go with a root spa system or some similar bubble bucket system, they will come with a hole drilled in the bottom of the bucket and a sight glass tube. You will use this tube as the nutrient drain hose and connect each bucket to the next in a daisy chain.

You will need ½” threaded female T’s and ½” threaded male elbows to connect all the middle buckets and ½” male and ½” female elbows for each of the end buckets. There are two rows, the top (from the nutrient pump) and bottom (the drain for nutrient return) of the bucket so in this example there are four buckets so you would need a total of 6 each ½” female T’s, 10 each male elbows and 4 each female elbows for this setup. If you are careful you can use the bottom rubber grommet and  simple male T on the bottom which is cheaper. Obviously the more buckets you have the more parts you need. See photo #1 Bucket Setup

Keeping the buckets slightly higher than the reservoir allows the nutrients to return through the bottom hose using gravity so only one water pump is needed.

Home Depot PVC fittings:
025528106119 INSERT ELBOW 1/2" POLY INSRT EL IXMPT
025528106782 1/2 RISR TEE  1/2" POLY INSRT TEE IXIXFPT
025528105952 INSERT EL  1/2" POLY INSRT EL IXFPT
½ riser T barbed for bottom of bucket if reusing grommet

½” black hose here:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGTB50GF-2-Inch-Black-Tubing/dp/B0079QUTSQ/ref=s...

BucketSetup.jpg (31 KB | 50 )
BucketSetup.jpg
BucketNutrients.JPG (118 KB | 49 )
BucketNutrients.JPG
DaiseyChain.JPG (156 KB | 57 )
DaiseyChain.JPG

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:11am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Connecting the Air
Slip ¼” air hose down into the bottom of each bucket and attach an aquarium tank air diffuser. The most tiny bubbles the better! See photo # 2

Air hose here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE8EWK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta...

Barbed air hose fittings:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQW9KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta...

ConnectingAir.jpg (31 KB | 53 )
ConnectingAir.jpg
AirHoses.JPG (137 KB | 61 )
AirHoses.JPG
AirPumpsTimer.JPG (86 KB | 62 )
AirPumpsTimer.JPG

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:12am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Connecting the Tanks
The nutrient tank is connected to a larger tank – the main reservoir. It is just a larger tank, mine is 50 gallons because I have 18 buckets connected together.

For the reservoir and tank connections you will need a ½” bulkhead fitting and a Kerick Valve M252 PVC Mini Float Valve Tank Mount, Fixed Arm, 1.5 gpm at 60 psi, 1/4" Tube and a hose clamp to attatch the ½” tube to the valve. See photo #3 Connect Tanks

The valve is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077RAUTA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta...

ConectTanks.jpg (28 KB | 65 )
ConectTanks.jpg
bothTanks.JPG (139 KB | 29 )
bothTanks.JPG
IMGP9140.JPG (149 KB | 53 )
IMGP9140.JPG

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:12am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Connecting the pump
The nutrient pup is just a water pump with enough power to pump to all the buckets. The rating will depend on how many buckets you get. I would suggest 200 GPM for every 8 buckets if they are all level.

The pump goes in the bottom of the nutrient tank! It must never run dry or will burn up so set the flow rate accordingly. You should have enough water coming and going to keep it submerged but start with the pump on low. See photo #3 Connect Pump

I bought this water pump for 18 buckets:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M6MSHE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta...; but if you have fewer buckets you won’t need one this powerful.

ConnectPump.jpg (23 KB | 65 )
ConnectPump.jpg

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:13am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

To Automate the System you will want an outdoor 24 hour timer which can be set in 15 minute intervals. The timer can be bought anywhere. Just make sure it has settings for every 15 minutes because you will want to restart the nutrient pump every 15 minutes or your plant roots will dry out. You will also need an outdoor extension cord and  a power strip similar to what you use for your computer so you can shut things down quickly if needed.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:13am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

The buckets come with baskets that you fill with clay pellets. These baskets can be as high as $5 so the kits is definitely cheaper.

I used PLANT!T GMC40l Clay Pebbles 40L 4mm-16mm 
http://www.amazon.com/PLANT-GMC40l-Clay-Pebbles-4mm-16mm/dp/B00MHQ0IHA/ref=sr_1_...

Grodan A-OK 1.5" Starter Plug rock wool for starting my seedlings:
http://www.amazon.com/Grodan--OK-Starter-Plug-Sheet/dp/B00168EO48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

Other things you will need:
A pH meter

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Accuracy-Pocket-Handheld-Tester/dp/B00FJFEB2O/ref...

an HM Digital EC/TDS/Temp Waterproof Hydro Tester  HMDCOM80
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251538150718

Nutrients:
General Hydroponics Flora Series Nutrients - FloraMicro, FloraGro and FloraBloom 3 Gallons (1 each)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E1VZVI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta...

General Hydroponics GH1514 Ph Control Kit
http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH1514-Control-Kit/dp/B000BNKWZY/ref=s...

A measuring cup graduated in ML is very helpful!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:58am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I got started very late due to Diana's Drs. etc and out up my greenhouse tent on 7-12-2015

planted my tiny seedlings on 7-14-2015

first weeks growth 7-21-2015

two weeks growth  7-29-2015

19 days growth and comparison to the remaining seedlings  still in dirt

Tent-7-06-15.JPG (134 KB | 64 )
Tent-7-06-15.JPG
Seedlings7-21-15.JPG (126 KB | 63 )
Seedlings7-21-15.JPG
Plants-7-29-15.JPG (119 KB | 71 )
Plants-7-29-15.JPG
1Compare2-8-3-15.jpg (189 KB | 38 )
1Compare2-8-3-15.jpg
1Compare-8-3-15.jpg (134 KB | 39 )
1Compare-8-3-15.jpg
Plants2-8-3-15.JPG (135 KB | 31 )
Plants2-8-3-15.JPG

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:22pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

I remain constantly amazed at how you find the time to do all this stuff... Smiley

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 10:53pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I always plant a garden but with all the pine trees now I had to change methods. So far this is working well

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 4:12pm

Butterbean   Offline
S. Georgia

This is cool business

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 3:22pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Never posted the 50 day photo

Garden50_days.JPG (175 KB | 33 )
Garden50_days.JPG

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: