Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Stove Died & Went to Appliance He.....? (Read 842 times)
May 17th, 2015 at 4:42pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Wow, why do the last 5 threads in this section belong to me?  Smiley
Anyway, my LG stove bit the dust again this weekend. Second time in 8 years the electronics have fried. This is a range with no knobs, just electronic bubble buttons on the control. (Which I see they don't make anymore. Wonder why?)
I had originally bought a 3-year warranty, and it first fizzled at 3 years and 1 month. Found out the electronics were obsolete, and it took much searching on the internet to find some (very expensive) replacement parts. HUGE hassle.
Now it's fried again, and I don't want to go through that experience all over. So, $1K later, there is a new range on the way. GE, this time, with real knobs. Hope it works better.
Good thing I now have the experience and resources available on websites like Debi's to improvise. Here is last night's dinner; that's some par-baked bread in the middle. It came out really well.

20150516_175100.jpg (134 KB | 45 )
20150516_175100.jpg

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2015 at 7:32pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I had the same trouble with my Kitchenaid stove. The electronic controls fried ($650) right after the warranty expired and again 2 years later. I  did find some parts on eBay much cheaper and found some parts when listed as Kitchenaid cost much more than the very same part listed as GE! Go figure!

Still have the stove but the washer began playing the same game shortly after and then the transmission croaked so I dumped it! 

About a month after all that Diana's stair chair died and it was a tiny component on one of the circuit boards. The company doesn't make them anymore but for $3,800 they'll sell me a new improved model that's made of plastic instead of steel and uses a steel cable instead of a rack and pinion gear. Sooooooo I cheated! It's a DC motor and still ran in the up direction so I reverse the red and black leads to change direction and have it running through a computer surge protector to secure the power.

They really don't want you fixing stuff anymore!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2015 at 10:45pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Got that right! I had to enlist the aid of my daughter (she has a degree in electronics/robotics) to help me swap circuit boards and components last time.

Tonight, surf & turf on the Weber. I don't know what I'd do without that versatile grill. This is kalbi-marinated petite sirloin strips, and 16/20 shrimp that was brined for 20 minutes, then grilled shell-on (to preserve moisture), and finished with a sauce of mango pulp vinegar and lime & riesling-infused olive oil. Really tasty!

20150517_174809.jpg (202 KB | 46 )
20150517_174809.jpg
20150517_184014.jpg (169 KB | 43 )
20150517_184014.jpg
20150517_184414.jpg (155 KB | 51 )
20150517_184414.jpg

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2015 at 6:15am

Blues-N-Cues   Offline
Official DSP   Musician
standing over the pit-kentucky

there's a reason warranties last as long as they do.
companies either know or design exactly when something is going to crap out Angry

can't go wrong w/ one of these though. Tongue

here's smoke in yer eye   1 brinkman smoke-n-pit(r.i.p. unit 1)   brink vertical charcoal smoker(aka the carp)   brink 2 door vertical charcoal(tudor)   knockoff kettle&&uds in progress   wells cargo 12x7 catering trailer(mods in progress)  concession building stuffer,slicer, more catering junk that i can fit in it.   http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/Home_Page.html ; "there are no failures only lessons learned"
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2015 at 2:51pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Love your plates Mike! They build in resales - it stinks!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2015 at 1:16am

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Nice stoves, blue! Bet it takes a while to warm up, though.

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2015 at 9:09am

Blues-N-Cues   Offline
Official DSP   Musician
standing over the pit-kentucky

you would be suprised. the MIL has one & it doesn't take long @ all. plus,it smells good depending on what kind of wood used. Wink

here's smoke in yer eye   1 brinkman smoke-n-pit(r.i.p. unit 1)   brink vertical charcoal smoker(aka the carp)   brink 2 door vertical charcoal(tudor)   knockoff kettle&&uds in progress   wells cargo 12x7 catering trailer(mods in progress)  concession building stuffer,slicer, more catering junk that i can fit in it.   http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/Home_Page.html ; "there are no failures only lessons learned"
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2015 at 3:30pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

My mother-in-law has a very old cookbook written by Mary Lincoln. (Not sure if she is THE Mary Lincoln, or not.) But for each recipe, rather than a set temperature, she details what type of wood, and how many pieces, to put in your cast iron stove.

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2015 at 7:52am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

There is a cookbook written by THE Mary Lincoln bet it is the same one.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2015 at 3:33pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Wow. She should probably take it to Antiques Road Show the next time they roll into town.

EDIT: I just looked on Google, and there was a Mary Johnson Bailey Lincoln who was a teacher at the Boston Cooking School in the late 1800's. More likely it's hers.

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2015 at 7:03pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

The book probably has the name of the author on it somewhere

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: