Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

El Rio BBQ in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (Read 1073 times)
Apr 26th, 2013 at 9:51pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

My wife and I went here on Monday, and we can't wait to go back. The restaurant is on a beautiful riverbank in the hills above Puerto Vallarta, in a little town call Paso Ancho. You can get there from downtown PV by cab, or local bus for 7 pesos (about 60 cents). I highly recommend it. Here's the website: http://elriobbqbar.com/index_english.html

I had the pork ribs (1/4 rack), and my wife had the pulled pork sandwich. Interesting thing about the ribs is that they are whole, from top to bottom. They do not cut them into baby backs, spares, and tips. So a quarter rack is a very substantial amount of meat. I could not eat it all, and ended up giving some to an old, very well mannered, restaurant dog named Julietta. I'm sure she knows that few can finish, so she just sits off to the side, waiting. She doesn't beg, just sits by until someone calls her over, and then she's happy to help you out. Grin

Now for the nitty gritty. My wife said that my ribs taste better, but I'm not sure I agree. These were awfully darned good. But we both came to the painfull realization that their pulled pork is far superior. A better ratio of sweet to salty than I've been able to achieve. Theirs were more to the salty side, whereas mine is usually pretty sweet. I'm going to have to adjust that and see what I can come up with. We had sides of bbq beans and potato salad. Both were different than any we'd had before, but both were excellent.
Here's some pics:

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 10:05pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Nice pictures. Looks like a lovely place. So peaceful looking. You two looked very happy. Congrats!

I tend to go light on salt and sometimes I wish I'd used a tad more but it raises cane with Jessie's blood pressure.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 3:00am

vulcan75001   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Forever Proud
Danbury, Ct.

Nice place...wish our weather would figure out what to do and be as nice as it looked there...those sure are some big ribs..getting me hungry for some now... Grin Grin

Richard
Traeger BBQ075
Big Block Gasser   
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 4:11pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Me too! I am smoking butts at thelodge today. They have a really slow computer in the bar but at least it's open now so I have something to do.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 8:51pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

One of the local ex-pats down there calls them "Flintstone ribs". They were pretty close. Temps downtown were about 83° that day, but upriver it was closer to 75°.  Just us, and the birds and butterflies that day.
There was only one other couple at the restaurant, and we discovered that the wife and I knew of each other thru another website! Small world.

I think I'm going to have to pull some baby backs out of the freezer and smoke them next weekend. Cool

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 12:53pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

It is a small world. I am amazed at how many people I find I know or are connected to in some form when I am on the road. Inspiration is a wonderful thing!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 1:00pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Just got back from another trip. We went to El Rio again for more ribs! They are sooo good.
Also, since Easter fell on our usual trip for the first time, we went into town and had dinner at a special place called Anejo Limon. Owned by a Canadian, he imports his beef from Alberta. They had a prime rib special, and I'm guessing it was about a 22-24 oz. cut. Sooo tender! One of the best I've ever had.

DSCF0153.JPG (233 KB | 50 )
DSCF0153.JPG
DSCF0152.JPG (237 KB | 46 )
DSCF0152.JPG
DSCF0154.JPG (230 KB | 52 )
DSCF0154.JPG
DSCF0181.JPG (239 KB | 50 )
DSCF0181.JPG

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 9:26pm

Slow q   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Official DSP Birthday
Guy!
S.C. Iowa

All I did was read the first line of your post and JEALOUSY all ready, But I see everyone is enjoying themselves that's what counts. The food looks Great.ENJOY

40" MES S.S.-Brinkmann Horiz. Smoke-n-Pitmaster Deluxe with sfb & Brinkmann Vert. Gourmet Deluxe  Rival Elect Roaster/Smoker,
 5x8 AMNPS, We are trying different things and smoking funny things         
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2014 at 5:17pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

WOW! That a HUGE steak! We could eat that for several days. Looks nice and juicy too. The rib sauce looks like it is apple based nice brownish color. Nice looking salad too. I'm sure you had a great time.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 11:02pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Forgot to post pics from our 3rd trip to El Rio last April. We went for a pulled pork sandwich and tacos, and some chicken wings this time. Still great food! Julietta, the helper dog is still hanging out, waiting for scraps.
The last shot should be of a yacht that some bazillionaire from Montana parked off of our resort for a few days.
We're going back in October. My wife has always wanted to release some baby sea turtles.

20160415_112922.jpg (56 KB | 12 )
20160415_112922.jpg
20160415_112936.jpg (60 KB | 11 )
20160415_112936.jpg
20160415_104805.jpg (65 KB | 10 )
20160415_104805.jpg
20160419_111531.jpg (34 KB | 11 )
20160419_111531.jpg

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 2:27am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Great food down there. Looking at those ribs again is that a mole' sauce or a BBQ sauce or somewhere between the two? Gives me an idea for the weekend.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 11:36pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

It is a BBQ sauce, but I think it might be mango-based, rather than apple. Apples are imported down there and are expensive. Mango trees are everywhere.

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 12:54pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

ahhh yes that makes sense

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: