Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Stockinettes (Read 25558 times)
Nov 3rd, 2012 at 3:14pm

ricko   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

I've been doing a web search for various size cotton stockinette's for small hams, butts, loins,etc. I've found many places that offer some ham stockinette's in packages of 10 to 25. I ran across these folks and liked their variety offered. I sent them an email to see if they're strictly big industry suppliers or if they do sell to the little guy. Perhaps someone here may have heard of them or know something about them.
http://breconknittingmill.com/meat.cfm

Thanks,Rick

Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 5:58pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I don't use them. I did try them a few years ago and found they were more a PITA than they were worth. Of course if you are hanging them it would be beneficial but I just lay mine on the grates of my Smoke Vault. I guess it would depend on what kind of smoker you are using too.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 7:43am

ricko   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Hi Mom,
Yes, I notice your slabs lay flat, but for shoulders, butts, etc. I thought the stockinette would work great. I have bacon hooks for my slabs which work good for me.

What was it about the stockinette's that made them a PITA for you? I'd like to get all the input I can before ordering a truck load!
Rick

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:07am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

After a long smoke the meat/fat tends to embed itself in the stocking especially if you remove the rind from the outside to get better smoke penetration. They look kind of neat if you add them in the last few hours but I had a few thay slipped right into the meat layers and had to be hacked to remove the netting.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 12:55pm

ricko   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Okay thanks, I'll take that into consideration. Good to know.

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:33pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

I notice that on commercially smoked turkeys, there are stockinette marks. I assume it it to keep them compact to get more into a smoker at a time. Or is there another reason? Have you tried or would you recommend them for turkey?
Reason I ask, is I think it is time to pay back some folks who helped me on my smoker build, and this would be a nice way to go.

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:17pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I think it is more to make it look pretty than anything else. Loose meat need to be tied like boneless roasts etc. but solid meat it's a waste of money. For turkeys I tie the wing tips under and the legs over for the same reason. The wings tied to the front block some of the pretty coloring on the breast If you tie the legs at the very tips of the joint they spread more and give more even coloring. Again if you debone first a sticking or strings are necessary but whole they are not.

I think in the old days they used them because they had "Smoke Houses" and hung the meat from hooks near the ceiling away from the heat. In our smokers we have shelves (even though so do hang) so it is not needed.

It really up to what you like.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: