Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Fattie Question (Read 1676 times)
Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:36pm

Jonty   Offline
Yorkshire, Great Britain

Do you guys cook or sautee the onions/peppers etc that go into the middle of your fatties or do you put them in raw and let the smoker cook them?

Thanks

Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:57pm

Butterbean   Offline
S. Georgia

I use raw vegetables and raw eggs and let them cook inside the fattie.

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 2:48am

Tatoosh   Offline
Baguio City, Philippines

I haven't made these but want to soon.   I think the flavor you want will be the deciding factor.  I don't think you'll get caramelized onions inside a fatty, but I'd love to hear if I'm wrong.  Cooked yes, but browned and sweetened, I doubt.  If you want those sauteed onion flavor notes in your fatty, then I suspect you will need to introduce them when you assemble it. 

I love roasted bell pepper and can barely tolerate it just cooked.  So you can guess which will go into mine when I make it, even if it would "cook" with the fatty.  I will be reading this section for ideas about what sausages to use and assembly.  The bacon weaves looks fantastic so that will likely be a feature too.   

Lastly, is it Fatty or Fattie or "just be sure there is enough for seconds"?   Smiley

Steve aka Tatoosh - Northwest USA (soon)
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:12am

Jonty   Offline
Yorkshire, Great Britain

I know what you mean about the bell pepper tatoosh, they taste so much better when they've been roasted.

I've got my son's birthday party next week and I think I might have to have a go at one.

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 11:33am

Butterbean   Offline
S. Georgia

Your right, they won't caramelize in the fattie.  The good thing about a fattie is there are no rules so let your mind be your guide.  Anything is good in it. 

Sorry, there is one rule and that is to not make the log any larger than your bacon can wrap around.  This takes some trial and error cause you just start adding stuff and the log grows.

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 12:16pm

Jonty   Offline
Yorkshire, Great Britain

How many pound of sausage makes a good fatty that won't take an age to cook?

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 2:05pm

Butterbean   Offline
S. Georgia

The cook time is influenced more by the thickness of the fattie and the thickness is determined by the length of the bacon so the amount of sausage actually just dictates the length of the fattie more than anything else.  Does that make sense?  I'd start with a pound or two.

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:25pm

Tatoosh   Offline
Baguio City, Philippines

Heh heh, lucky for me I can do a pretty darn long piece of pork belly if I have to.  Actually this is just the conversation I need to be listening to.  Fatties are new to me and I am all confuzzled when it comes to how to start one. 

Ground pork/beef/mix?  Wrap/Roll/Tube filled with hidden delights.  Weave some bacon around it and cook at?  350F ... 250F  Long and slow?  Smoke?  No smoke because the bacon is already smoked? 

.... Pause While Reading Other Fattie Threads ...

Or just do it and see what happens?  I looked at Debi's Breakfast Fattie guide and darn, now I'm hungry!  And I see most of my questions above were answered...

So sausage mix, fill with goodies and whatever tinkles your bell, wrap and smoke.  I'm guessing in the 250F range.  Is there an internal temp on the meat you look for, maybe 150F?  Or should it be a bit lower?  My Thermapens are defunct and heading back to the USA for repair, but I got a kitchen probe thermometer to stand in. 

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:51pm

Butterbean   Offline
S. Georgia

Just cook it to where the sausage is done. 

Be sure to lay plastic down.  Then form out the sausage on the plastic and you'll get the general idea of how wide it needs to be cause you can do a test roll with the plastic and then undo it.  Once you get the dimentions right you will roll while removing the plastic.

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 4:02am

Jonty   Offline
Yorkshire, Great Britain

I think I'm going to have to have a go at the bacon lattice weave, I reckon that looks pretty smart.  I've a couple of pieces of pork butt to smoke so I think I'll squeeze a couple of fatties in as well.  One with a bit of spice and a plainer one for the younger children.

I've got some cherry and oak chunks on order, I've never smoked with cherry so I think I may give that a go to.

Joe, I can't believe its a year since you kindly sent me that mortons meat pump for injecting the pork for his last birthday - jees where does the time go.

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 8:45am

Tatoosh   Offline
Baguio City, Philippines

I just sliced up about 5 kilos of bacon and trying to figure out how to get a longer cut using the meat slicer.  I managed to get some long slices out of it by bending the bacon into and "L" shape and feeding it through the slicer until it laid flat.  I could use the tray at that point.  Too much trouble to do regularly but worth the hassle for longer slices to wrap a fattie.

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 11:10pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

You can use shorter bacon just make sure the end is tucked under a strip that is going in the oposite direction!

Wink

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 2:36am

Tatoosh   Offline
Baguio City, Philippines

Oh, yeah!  Even a better idea!

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:54pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I like pizza fatties. I need to make a few. I use Italian hot sausage, roll it out flat and add pre-fried onions and peppers, cool them add mozzarella and sauce and roll it up and smoke it. Then wrap the whole thing in your favorite pizza dough and smoke it until the vread is done. Great for lunch!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.