HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
1st Jerky Try (Read 2417 times)
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 6:16pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Quote: It's strange how 5 lbs. of meat doesn't really look like that much when you have it hanging on the rack.

Yeah and it goes faster too! I guess it's amatter of how much you want to play with the smoker. I used the SV for everything.

Good luck with th e turkey! I love smoked turkey.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #16 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 5:04pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

I have batch #3 going right now. Same recipe as #1, but I am using mostly cherry pellets in the AMNPS, along with charcoal pellets for flavor, and oak to keep everything going. I understand from Todd Johnson, who sells the AMNPS, that the cherry and bourbon barrell pellets tend to go out too soon unless you lay some oak pellets underneath them.
Boy, it sure smells good! I will keep a closer watch for doness on them today.

These are some from batch #1, but they look the same. Last one you can see they were a little overdone.

jerky1.jpg (40 KB | 86 )
jerky1.jpg
jerky2.jpg (30 KB | 77 )
jerky2.jpg
jerky3.jpg (38 KB | 87 )
jerky3.jpg
jerky4.jpg (37 KB | 84 )
jerky4.jpg

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #17 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:26pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Came out much better this time. You can't tell from the new pic, but it is chewy, instead of mushy or brittle.

10_5.jpg (37 KB | 85 )
10_5.jpg

Char-Broil American Series side-smoker&&Char-Broil 5-burner propane grill&&22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold&&Stainless steel electric fridge conversion&&MES 30"
Reply #18 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 11:15pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Sometimes I swear jerky has it own mind. It's not ready and you just go in the house to get something and it's brittle. looks good today.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #19 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 3:30pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Yeah, that's for sure. This batch took only 4.5 hours, as opposed to the last one that I kept in the smoker for 6, and they still weren't done. Same cut, same thickness, same temp. Weird.

Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 8:44pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Meat is funny you get a more muscled meat it take longer, more fat slower, not to mension wind and that sort of thing.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #21 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 2:35pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

I smoked another batch yesterday. Same-same all around, but they came out tough and dry again. Weird.

Reply #22 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 9:02pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Sounds like it was to hot - that will dry it out.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:17pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Weirder still...after a day in a gallon ziplock, they have somehow "rehydrated" a little bit. Now the texture is just fine.  Smiley
Took them to work today, and they're disappearing fast.

Reply #24 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 7:58pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Sounds like the outside was over dry and they redistributed the moisture in the bag. Sometimes this wok well for dried sausages like salami or capicolla that dry to much on the outside. A few dys in a bag nd it evens out.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 8:41pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

My 4th batch of jerky, and the only one to date that came out perfect, and on time. 4-1/2 hours with hickory smoke.

20170225_170945.jpg (78 KB | 19 )
20170225_170945.jpg
20170225_171011.jpg (70 KB | 20 )
20170225_171011.jpg

Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:28am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

No I rarely make jerky for that reason. Jerky and hot sticks go so fast it's crazy! My last batch I made from eye of the round on sale an cut it a bit thicker I liked that.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 2:17pm

mneeley490   Offline
Everett, WA

Yeah, I think this was bottom round and most of the pieces were cut thicker. (I buy it pre-sliced at WinCo. It doesn't cost any more, and eliminates a step.) This time there was a pocket of fat in the middle that was hidden by the way they packaged it. After cutting that out, there were two pieces per slice, one of which really wasn't big enough to skewer for jerky. So the remaining scraps went into a hot pan with the marinade, and then topped some rice. Wow, that was pretty good. Now I know that the marinade makes for a great teppanyaki as well.  Smiley

Reply #28 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 1:08am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Looks tasty though

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Pages: 1 2