Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Mozzarella (Read 1987 times)
Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:20am

smokeaddict   Offline
Sydney Australia

Help wanted please cheezies !
First time mozz try, all went really well until spin. Recipes are a little confusing for this step - is the whey poured off the curds the night before or the next morning, or not at all prior to the first test ?
Thanks for any advice !
Regards all

We, clever lifeforms owe our existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 6:00pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

There are several methods of doing this  partially based on what recipe you are using.  The quick and dirty microwave version has a very low sucess rate with newbies for some reason mostly due to rushing the process and not allowing enough acidity to build up.

I HIGHLY reccommend the 2 day boccincini recipe in the requires cultures section. It makes the best most flavorful mozzarella not like the blah store bought stuff or a almost taseless microwave stuff.

But I can't answer your question until I know what process your tried to use.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 6:50pm

smokeaddict   Offline
Sydney Australia

Thank you Debbie for the reply,
I started with MrKK's recipe and she having made reference to Frakhauser's spin technique led me to that method. She says " Without stirring, remove whey to level of curds (reserve whey in clean container). Add a gallon of cold water to rinse, then drain in cloth-lined colander, covering with a clean cloth or lid." That is confusing to me "remove to level of curds", then," add gallon of water and drain".
Frankhauser says "Pour off whey which has come to the surface " Replace the cover and let  the 36 C (97 F) curds (and remaining whey) sit in warm place overnight (at least 8 hours)"
So,I let the curds sit in the remaining whey overnight. The used his spin technique the next morning having left the whey in. The spin didn't work then, nor in the next six hours, the curds just sort of disintegrated in the water, which was at the exact temp he call for.
The microwave technique never appealed to my novice mind. So, I am thin king, what went wro ng with it after all the previous steps were spot on. Can you shed light on some aspect Debbie ?
Thanks again, Gus
By the way, I returned the now drained curds to the warming room for another night of resting and will try this morning the warm water spin, maybe I get lucky !

We, clever lifeforms owe our existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 10:38pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

smokeaddict wrote on Mar 25th, 2011 at 6:50pm:
Thank you Debbie for the reply,
I started with MrKK's recipe and she having made reference to Frakhauser's spin technique led me to that method. She says " Without stirring, remove whey to level of curds (reserve whey in clean container). Add a gallon of cold water to rinse, then drain in cloth-lined colander, covering with a clean cloth or lid."

Karen's recipe is very close to mine and a very good one.

Okay when you drain the whey (and save it for latter) and add water you are stopping or slowing considerably the acid development in the cheese.

That is confusing to me "remove to level of curds",
once to stop gently stirring the curds they will sink to the bottom and the whey will rise above it
then," add gallon of water and drain".

You are basically just washing the curds and slowly acid development.

Frankhauser says "Pour off whey which has come to the surface " Replace the cover and let  the 36 C (97 F) curds (and remaining whey) sit in warm place overnight (at least 8 hours)"

Dr. Frankhauser does not use the washing step. He just drains the whey to curd level and lets it sit that way overnight. This will work if you are sure will will be able to get right back to it in the morning. Some of us have chorse to do and may not get back t it right away. Karen has actually waited for up to two day before getting back to her cheese making with no ill affects because of adding this step. It is less risky but both ways will work. I to prefer the rinse step.

So,I let the curds sit in the remaining whey overnight. The used his spin technique the next morning having left the whey in. The spin didn't work then, nor in the next six hours, the curds just sort of disintegrated in the water, which was at the exact temp he call for.

This is another area here our techques differ. I choose to form the curds into a big ball of cheese and let it sit over night to acidify. Then the next day I heat the whey with salt and cut a chunk of the cheese ball and test it for proper acid development by placing it in the hot whey, letting it warm and checking for stretch. It it doesn't strech or break it's not ready wait another hour or two. Whe I get a good stretch I cut it all into pieces, place it in the hot salted whey and begin to stir until it almost melts and then you get the spin.

The microwave technique never appealed to my novice mind. So, I am thin king, what went wro ng with it after all the previous steps were spot on. Can you shed light on some aspect Debbie ?
Thanks again, Gus
By the way, I returned the now drained curds to the warming room for another night of resting and will try this morning the warm water spin, maybe I get lucky !

more in the next thread ...

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 10:43pm

smokeaddict   Offline
Sydney Australia

Thank you very much Debbie,

I aam going to do another batch next week based on you advice,

Regards,

Gus

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 11:11pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

okay now I have a few questions for you and a comment.

First the comment ...

Until you have mastered a recipe don't mix techniques. Follow one recipe and the associated technques used and learn what there is to learn from it. Once you know what to expect and gain consistancy then you can begin to experiment because you will have learned how to fix a problem if it arises. As I said earlier there is more than one absolute way of doing anything. FInd what works for you.

When it come to cheesemaking there are tons of variables! The milk in your area, the type of milk, the water, minerals all play a part in how you cheese will come out. Make sure you are not using UHT (Ultra high temperatures pasteurized) or ESL (Extended Shelf Life) milk - it will not make cheese.

Is this your first cheese?
mozzarella seems to give a lot of people a hardtime because they get in a hurry and don't test a bit of curd first before trying to spin.

Have you used this brand of milk before?
How long from the time you bought the milk until it's expiration date?
Any milk that has an expiration date of more than 10 days is probably UHT or ESL. They don't have to put that on the label for some reason.

Was the milk fresh when you used it?
Milk is best if it is no more than 24 hours old. A few days won't hurt if it has been well chilled.

If you try to spin the curds to soon they can shatter and may or may not be recoverable. I susspect this is what happened. Waiting another day in the whey will probably over acidify the curds and make them taste sour or bitter. I suggest you take the curds, drain the whey to within about an inch of the botton of your pot and slowly stir them as they heat. They may warm sufficiently to almost melt together forming ball of cheese. Once they form (If they form) pack them together tightly and drain. Then place the ball in plain salted cold water for about 10 minutes to halt acid development. Place it in the frigerator for an hour or so to firm.

If you get this far be happy! You will have an eddible cheese but not what you wanted. Taste a piece if it not awful sour or bitter you can either use it like that or trade it fo what's behind door #2! Just kidding! You could at tha point try to heat the whey and salt  try a small piece first! and continue but if the test piece shatters again stop and leave it as is. At least you'll have something to eat.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 1:13am

smokeaddict   Offline
Sydney Australia

Thanks very much Debbie,

Regards, Gus

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 1:01pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Hey Gus ...

try the Bocconcini recipe. Bocconcini is just mozzarella made into small balls like for salads and stuff. It lets well, grates well and tastes creamy and cheesey. It the easiest and tastiest method I have been able to come up with and I've been making mozzarella (without a pH meter) for 35 years. Granted it does use a combination of techniques but I have perfected this method over a very long period of time.

If you don't have a comercial culture you can still use it just substitute what you have in the proper amount.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: