Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Question? (Read 793 times)
Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:21am

JHM   Offline

I seen a video on You Tube for making a simple cheese. I'll list the products need.

1 quart milk
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt

Now I added the 2 milks together in the pot slowly started to get it to temp and the milk started to curd around 140 and I didn't even add the lemon. What did I do wrong? Or is that normal.

Thanks in advance JHM

Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:56pm

JHM   Offline

I just watched the Video again. I added the butter milk with the milk before I started heating it. I was suppose to added the butter milk once I was up to temp. along with the lemon juice then shut the heat off. Oh well I'll give it another shot in a couple days.
JHM

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:03pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I was going to say they don't usually start with the butter milk until it gets to a certain temperature. The butter milk is your starter culture. What kind of cheese is this that goes to 140 degrees? Must be a hard cheese. Cheeses are very temperature sensitive just a few few degrees can make a totally different cheese type.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:46am

JHM   Offline

I'm not even sure what kind of cheese it is..........In the video it looks to have the texture of cream cheese almost.........About the 140 temp that's when my milk and butter milk started to curd..........I should have waited til 175 then added butter milk and lemon juice.............
JHM.........Here's the video........... Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPYopcoeqs

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 7:18am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Ah it's a simple "farmers cheese!" The high temperatures make a dry tight knit curd so I was thinking a hard cheese like parmesan. Which you can make with the same ingredients you just need to press it.

The butter milk is your starter culture it will even form curds without heating. There are some cheeses that are not cooked but formed at room temperature but to me they taste to sour.

In general for most cooked cheeses you follow the same basic steps only time and temperature change.

1) warm the milk
2) then add the cultures
3) wait a while for cutltures to ripen the milk
4) add the coagulant (lemon juice, citric acid, or rennet)
5) wait a while
6) slowly raise the temperature
7) cut the curds
8) wait a while
9) cook the curds
10) drain the curds
11) form the curds
12) salt the cheese

depending on the cheese the last two could change order - but that's basically it!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.