Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Review of the Fresh Roast SR 500 and SR 300 (Read 4483 times)
Oct 16th, 2010 at 2:47pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I just bought the SR500 and I love it! It easy to use and clean. They pretty much look alike except for the comtrols. The SR 300 doesn't have a fan control knob or a temperature switch but both are very well made. I was surprized to find real glass for the bean bowl and real steel for the main fan body hosing and chaff collector.

Here is a comparison of the:

Fresh Roast SR 500      and      Fresh Roast SR 300 Models
28+ Cup Capacity                   28+ Cup Capacity

3 Temperature settings;           Built in roasting curve
High temp. = 490°F                 not sure exactly what this
Medium temp. = 455°F             means.
Low temp. = 390°F

Adjustable fan speed               Fixed constant speed

Here are the basic insructions for using the SR500 the instruction are about the sme except for adjusting fan speed and temperature.

Using your new FreshRoast SR 500 coffee roasterThe roaster has three parts, the chaff collector on top, the roasting chamber, and the heated base.

Start with four level scoops of coffee.
Remove the chaff collector, add the coffee to the roasting chamber, and put the chaff collector back on.
Set the timer for 5-10 minutes.
We like to start the roast with a low/medium temperature setting and the highest fan speed for the first two minutes than set the temperature to high.
As the coffee starts turning over vigorously, turn the fan speed down to build heat and keep the beans from chipping.
If you want to stop the roast at any time, just hit the cool button. Don't turn it to off, as the roaster is quite hot and needs the three minutes of cooling before being handled.
If you see smoke coming from the roaster, you are getting to a dark roast and will want to think about hitting the cool button
After the timer shuts off, remove the chaff collector, (be careful - as the roaster is still pretty warm) lift out the roast chamber by its handle, and dump the beans.

Here is the chaff collector full of chaff. It kind of resembles the skins on spainish peanuts.

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2010 at 9:28pm by DeejayDebi »  

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 11:21pm

johno   Offline
YaBB Administrator
texas, queensland ,australia

i do all my own roasting for my  cafe/coffee shop in my home made roaster . i do about 6 or 7 kilos a week .the roaster is built from an old bread maker machine and a heat gun hooked up to a multi meter and then into a laptop via usb .
i can do 450 grm per roast and i normally do either 3 or 6 roasts per session .
johno

Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 2:15pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

WOW sounds interesting Johno. Sometimes I wish it did more at a time but then I would roast more than I'd use in a week and it wouldn't be fresh.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 8:11pm

johno   Offline
YaBB Administrator
texas, queensland ,australia

yeah deb , i have the opposite problem cos some times i dont feel like roasting but i have to . the beans i am using at the moment are best at about a week after roasting and then good for another 3 weeks from then , after that they would be getting a bit old and before the first week they would be a little on the to fresh side and not properly degassed , although i have used them at 3 days post roast and they have been pretty good .
i am using a columbian bachue suppreme bean and have for quite a while now .
i serve it as a single origin rather than in a blend and all my customers are very happy with it .
i buy and use 20 kilos of greens about every 3 to 4 weeks , i use about 80% in the shop and i sell the other 20% as roasted beans to a few customers that have a coffee machine at home .
columbian roasted into rolling second crack at about 230c does it for me .

johno.

Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:53pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

I have been roasting all kinds of beans I real like the Costa Rican beans the best. My beans come vacuum sealed and seem to last forever without losing flavor. After roasting I keep them in degausing container cans and they stay fresh for several weeks.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: