Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

styrofoam tray colors? (Read 624 times)
Feb 15th, 2010 at 3:39pm

crawdaddy   Offline

Hi everyone,
I was at the store the other day and came up with a question I can't find the answer to.  Is there a reason for the different colored meat styrofoam  trays?  I saw pork was mainly in a pinkish tray, chicken in yellow, beef was in red or white.  The beef is what made me wonder.......there were the same cuts of beef in different colored trays.  Is there some secret code out there?

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:05pm

harper072554   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Lake Charles,LA

I think there is something to that... I can not recall what it is... Someone will be by that knows for sure...

Never look back, Someone may have CrossHairs on you...Always be careful what old dog you kick around, You may have to kiss that old dogs rearend one day...
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:17pm

Scotty_J   Offline
Smokin Meat and Disc Golf.
They go together gr8.
Tri-City Oregon U.S.A.

I have found that here in Oregon that most meat is on the white, fish in on blue, and chicken is white also.  I have also saw the yellow and pink but do not remember what was in them.

P.E.T.A. = People, Eating, Tasty, Animals.
Apple, Cherry. Pear, Myrtle, Madrone, Fig, and Plum  Wood.
Weber grill, Brinkman Deluxe Electric, Smoke Hollow No. 6 Propane smoker's.
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 5:01pm

crawdaddy   Offline

I can understand different meats in different colors but I can't understand why...for example....ground beef would be in different colored trays.  Even steak, same cut in different colors.  

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 7:50pm

harper072554   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Lake Charles,LA

I will try and remember to ask tomorrow where I buy my meat at...

Never look back, Someone may have CrossHairs on you...Always be careful what old dog you kick around, You may have to kiss that old dogs rearend one day...
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 12:28pm

T-bone Tim   Offline
New Brunswick , Canada

mostly done for looks ( eye appeal is buy appeal) I.M.H.O ..we used to use pink for pork , yellow for chicken , blue for turkey and white for beef at my work and now only white for everything except for sterling silver beef which we use black trays for to keep it distinct from our regular beef .... the colors make the sections of meat stand out too , so if you're looking to buy pork your going to the pink section and so on ....
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2010 at 6:28pm by T-bone Tim »  

Tim&&&&Smokers : &&&&Masterbuilt electric&&Brinkman smoke n pit&&Homebuilt charcoal verticle ( a.k.a. the Q-bottle )
Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 1:18pm

harper072554   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Lake Charles,LA

Very useful tip T-bone... Thanks...

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 11:27pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

This Topic was moved here from T-Bone Tim's Chopping Block by DeejayDebi.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.