Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

uds (ugly drum smoker) section (Read 3810 times)
Nov 19th, 2009 at 7:55am

Blues-N-Cues   Offline
Official DSP   Musician
standing over the pit-kentucky

i think we need a uds section under smoker types. there are a few ways to do drums so 1 thread doesn't quite cover it.
starting on mine soon  & i'll include step by step pics & plans.

here's smoke in yer eye   1 brinkman smoke-n-pit(r.i.p. unit 1)   brink vertical charcoal smoker(aka the carp)   brink 2 door vertical charcoal(tudor)   knockoff kettle&&uds in progress   wells cargo 12x7 catering trailer(mods in progress)  concession building stuffer,slicer, more catering junk that i can fit in it.   http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/Home_Page.html ; "there are no failures only lessons learned"
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 9:27am

Slow q   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Official DSP Birthday
Guy!
S.C. Iowa

Sounds like a winner to me, I have been wanting to build one but no such like in finding a food grade drum or anything close, I'll keep looking

40" MES S.S.-Brinkmann Horiz. Smoke-n-Pitmaster Deluxe with sfb & Brinkmann Vert. Gourmet Deluxe  Rival Elect Roaster/Smoker,
 5x8 AMNPS, We are trying different things and smoking funny things         
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 7:46pm

Blues-N-Cues   Offline
Official DSP   Musician

well i thought it was a good idea... Embarrassed

here's smoke in yer eye   1 brinkman smoke-n-pit(r.i.p. unit 1)   brink vertical charcoal smoker(aka the carp)   brink 2 door vertical charcoal(tudor)   knockoff kettle&&uds in progress   wells cargo 12x7 catering trailer(mods in progress)  concession building stuffer,slicer, more catering junk that i can fit in it.   http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/Home_Page.html ; "there are no failures only lessons learned"
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 8:58pm

newbie001   Offline
Chiang Mai Thailand

I think that would be good too. I had thought of building one also because most of the grilling vendors on the side of the road use them. They don't have hoods though. I also thought that if one to add an offset box it should be in the lower middle rather than the side. I think centralized smoke and heat would be better than the side ones, but since I have never seen one in reality, I am not sure.

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 3:11am

Blues-N-Cues   Offline
Official DSP   Musician

you can actually do a rizer mod ala the smoke-ez  like phil has or just grill w/ it open- people been doing it in the caribe style for years- if it doesn't becone a steel calypso drum.

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:49am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Well ... Where's the pictures? Sorry I thought I did this last week. Not sure what I did ... hehehe

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 10:52am

Blues-N-Cues   Offline
Official DSP   Musician

newbie001 wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 8:58pm:
I think that would be good too. I had thought of building one also because most of the grilling vendors on the side of the road use them. They don't have hoods though. I also thought that if one to add an offset box it should be in the lower middle rather than the side. I think centralized smoke and heat would be better than the side ones, but since I have never seen one in reality, I am not sure.

the firebox defeats the purpose of the design. check out jerrykr's thread below this 1.
i'll try to start on mine this week if it warms up any.winter just showed up. Angry

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 10:23pm

jerrykr   Offline
Texas

looking forward to it B&C.  Pictures and suggestions are good!  There are so many ways to build these things, all good.  There is no "right" way.

Cowgirl built a very nice one too.  Maybe she will chime in.

One simple suggestion coming from experience.  The temp dial on the side of the drum looks sexy, but is mostly useless.  Measure your temps in 2 places.  One with a temp dial in the center of the lid, above the cook grate, the other with a long stem turkey dial that you can stick in a small hole and end up below the cooking grate under the meat and in the center of the drum.  IMHO the guys who obsess over low temps over on the "other" forum are watching 225-250 on the side of the drum, when in reality their temp in the center under the meat is closer to 300F.  just my .02.

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 6:10pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Thermometer placement is really critical. Does no good if it's to close to the fire.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:18pm

jerrykr   Offline
Texas

In mine the point of the turkey dial thermo is approx. 20-24 inches above the fuel.  It is about 1 inch below the meat, so it tells me what the meat is experiencing.  That was my point.  The measurement does very little good a foot away from the meat which is where the side mounted thermos end up, and is basically out of the upward flow of the heated air and smoke.

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:04pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

You have a great looking smoker many could learn from your example. Cowgirl did a really great job on hers too. Both are very impressive.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 7:35am

Blues-N-Cues   Offline
Official DSP   Musician

when you say turkey thermo are you talking about the dial thermo w/ the 1 & a half foot probe?

that what i was going to put on the side of mine about 1" above the lower grate. i was also going to run a digital probe through a fitting for the top grate.

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 2:00am

jerrykr   Offline
Texas

yes, that is what I do. 

The turkey fryer dial thermos are cheap.  Make sure that the tip of it ends up about 1 inch below your lower cooking grate in the middle of the drum.  That gives you the best indication of what's going in in the middle of the drum and hitting the meat just above it.

The dial thermo in the lid is helpful too, and it kind of gives me a reference of that the gas temps are after they have gone past the meat and are exiting the UDS.

I have a electrical groment in the side of the drum (Idea stolen from Hawg)  to thread the digital thermo probes inside and stuck into the thickest part of what-ever meat I'm smoking.

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:01am

gwest77   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Georgia

Seems to be a very old thread I'm answering, but I built a UDS going by cowgirls smoker and it turn out very nice.

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:13pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

She did a fine job. I think she was one of the first here to build one.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: