Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Deejays Smoke Pit

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

How to make Soda pop from concentrate (Read 2715 times)
Dec 19th, 2008 at 8:16pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Basic Generic Soda Pop Recipe

Equipment for 1 gallon:

6 quart or larger pot
Flavor Concentrate (usually 1 oz.)
2 quarts of boiling water
2 quarts of cold water
2 cups of white Sugar
1/8 teaspoon champagne Yeast
Plastic soda bottles and caps (washed and sanitized)
Funnel (to fit into the top of the bottle)
Ladle (to pour soda into ladle)

Take about ½ cup of the cold and warm it to about 70 degrees. Mix in 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and dissolve well. Let this sit until you need it.

Put 2 cups of sugar in a pot big enough to hold at least 6 quarts. Add 2 quarts of boiling water. Dissolve the sugar completely.

Add cold water to boiling water to get lukewarm water. It may have to cool some before you add the yeast. If it’s to hot you will kill the yeast!

Once the water is cool enough – about 70 degrees, add the yeast to the water and the soda concentrate. Stir to mix well.

Set a bottle in the sink and put the funnel in the bottle. Ladle soda into the funnel and fill bottle to about 1 inch from the top.

Remove funnel, wipe off bottle opening and screw cap on tightly. Lay bottle on its side to check for leaking.

If there are no leaks put bottles somewhere at room temperature for about a week. Then put them in the refrigerator to chill for a few days before drinking.

It’s a good idea to open the bottles over the sink. They will be really carbonated and could spew out all over the place!

WARNING! DO NOT USED GLASS BOTTLES! If You must use glass only beer bottles or champagne bottles can be used. If the bottles explode I won’t say I told you so! AND I won’t be responsible if you get hurt! Soda is more powerful than beer!
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2012 at 3:16pm by DeejayDebi »  

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker(aka -Black Beauty)                      
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking
River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg                  
Smoke preference: Charcoal , Hickory, Apple, Cherry and pecan mix.

Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 7:38am

cajunken   Offline
Twins in a basket!
rhode island

Hey deb You ever carbonate with co2 Its really fast and easy
Ken

The more humble I become the stronger I get.&&modded chargriller outlaw w/sfb http://deejaysworld.net/deejayssmokepit/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1228441436&&modded gas grill 170,000 btu's&&modded kettle grill 3 levels w/ internal fire box(homemade smokenator)
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 6:59pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Only when I keg and I am in a hurry!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:
SunJoy horizontal with side firebox and installed propane grills for grilling or smoking

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 9:24pm

RevT   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Relax. Don't Worry. Have
a homebrew.
Yuma, Colorado

I am assuming that sugar + yeast still yields some alcohol. Is that accurate? Or is there something about these ingredients that prevent the alcohol from forming?

Terry&&&&Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse&&&&NE Nebraska
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 1:48pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Rootbeer and Ginger beer tend to have trace amounts of alcohol. The others don't for some reason.
The longer your Root beer and Ginger beer ferments the higher the alcohol. Root beer can go as high as 10%!

You stop the fermentation by chilling - much like beer. I prefer to use chapagne yeast for my soda pops finer bubbles but the taste is about the same with bread yeast.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 10:19pm

Col. Big Guy   Offline
Southampton Ont/Floral city Fl

for a calorie reduced drink substitute 3/4 cup artifical sweetner and 1/4 cup of sugar for every cup of sugar in the recipe. The 1/4 cup is enough sugar to give you fermentation and the artificial sweetner does its thing.  Wink

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 12:33pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

Thanks Big Guy I don't have any experience with artificial sugars. I did make one batch of Rootbeer with that yelow stuff once by I thoughtit tasted off. I don't know if I didn't something wrong or if it was the fake sugar. My sister liked it but she uses that stuff everyday maybe you get used to it?

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 6:12pm

Scotty_J   Offline
Smokin Meat and Disc Golf.
They go together gr8.
Tri-City Oregon U.S.A.

The yeast is doing nothing but proffing in the sugar am I correct> If so I use only a table spoon in a 1/4 cup of water temp of 110 F and it will bubble away. Then can you ise the fake stuff to equle oue the sugar? Just asking as soda is now $6.00 a 12 pack.

P.E.T.A. = People, Eating, Tasty, Animals.
Apple, Cherry. Pear, Myrtle, Madrone, Fig, and Plum  Wood.
Weber grill, Brinkman Deluxe Electric, Smoke Hollow No. 6 Propane smoker's.
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 12:54am

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

WOW! $6 a six pack? That's ridiculas! I don't usually drink the stuff unless I am testing some new recipe I thunk up. I do like a glass of Moxie though every few years. I might try Rays idea. I am hypoglycemic and the large amount of sugar gives me a major rush then a nasty crash. Not fun.

Basically the yeasts eat the sugars and fart out CO2 for the carbonation.

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers:

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:39am

Scotty_J   Offline
Smokin Meat and Disc Golf.
They go together gr8.
Tri-City Oregon U.S.A.

Got it need the sugar for the CO2.

P.E.T.A. = People, Eating, Tasty, Animals.
Apple, Cherry. Pear, Myrtle, Madrone, Fig, and Plum  Wood.
Weber grill, Brinkman Deluxe Electric, Smoke Hollow No. 6 Propane smoker's.
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 6:14pm

slowpokescotty   Offline
Florida USA

RevT wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 9:24pm:
I am assuming that sugar + yeast still yields some alcohol. Is that accurate? Or is there something about these ingredients that prevent the alcohol from forming?

I think she is making booze pop Terry.

http://deejaysworld.net/deejayssmokepit/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1239245610&&---------LAKE DE GRAY ARKANSAS --2009-- OR BUST----------------&&http://deejaysworld.net/deejayssmokepit/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1239245610&&&&; '' No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land &&&&or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."&&
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 6:47pm

DeejayDebi   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It's all about sharing!
Connecticut

It will get "hard" after a while. I had a keg of Blackcherry soda pop I had buried somehow (in this house everything gets buried). About a year later I found it and dug it out and DANG! I think it became brandy. Good thing those kegs have pressure relief valves!

Debi (aka Mom)
Smokers: